Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Changing it up...

There are things in our lives which are simply beyond our grasp.

For example, I will never understand why margaritas and fashion magazines combine with sunshine to create the perfect summer afternoon. I will also never be able to change my DNA, the laws of physics, the weather, history or the fact that I have spider veins on my thighs.

And while so many facets of life are beyond our grasp, many more lay within our boundaries to change. I can change my hair color, my location, my significant others, my house, my job, my wardrobe, my feelings, my body, my friends, my choices...

Perhaps it is because so many things lie within our power, that I become frustrated when people can't get happy. Don't get me wrong-- I have spent plenty-o-days griping about life. I have allowed many things to keep me down; friends, lovers, the aforementioned spider viens on my thighs. But in all truth, most of the components that build my life are components that I choose, and if I should become unhappy, all I have to do is change them.

Yes, change is hard. Yes, it can be terrifiying. And yes, sometimes change hurts people, people you care about. But what is worse is spending your life pretending that it is outside of your control. We all have so much more power than we think.

I don't know how much longer I can watch as people continue to complain about the same things for days, weeks, months, years! If you are so unhappy, then change it. It could get messy. You could walk away scarred, but would you rather be resigned to spend the rest of your life unhappy?

As far as I'm concerned, we aren't put on this earth to be miserable. God gave us many great gifts-- the greatest being free will. So feel free to cry, scream or feel depressed for a while. But then, for everyone's sake, pull yourself up off the ground and make a change!

2 comments:

emerald_eyes said...

I feel like you're talking to me :/ but thats what my blog is for, to whine when I feel I have bothered my friends enough, lol. But I see your point, and I had a rather good past 24 hours :)

the "florkens" said...

Well, it wasn't actually meant for you, but for someone else in my life-- call for the details! haha

But I'm glad you got something out of it as well.

Love you!