Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Remembering a Good Kid...

You never think it can happen in your own backyard...

A few nights ago, a young boy was enjoying a sleepover at a friend's house. Now, his family is mourning his vicious murder. They were good people--he was a good kid.

I worked with his mom. She was a single mother who doted on her sons. They were the light of her world. She proudly displayed their photos on her desk and routinely spoke of them while on sale calls. He was a good kid. I only met him once. I was putting together an event which required "stuffing" of 900 goodie bags. He woke up early on a Saturday morning to volunteer an extra set of hands. He was a good kid.

The man who took him from this world was a repeat sex offender. Repeat. He had twice been arrested for indecent behavior with a child. Why was this man on our streets? Why was this man free to lure an innocent young boy from his friend's house? Why did our justice system allow this?

It brings me to tears to think about the last moments of Justin's life. I can't imagine how terrified he must have been. I can't imagine the fear and pain he experienced. I can't help but wonder if he thought about his mother, his brothers, his friends...

He was a good kid. No kid deserves such an ending. And no sex offender deserves the chance to break something so precious.

Life goes on for the rest of the world. But life for Justin has ended and life for his family will never be the same.

You never think it can happen in your own backyard...

1 comment:

Les said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend had to go through this...like you said, it can happen anywhere, but you never think it will happen to you or someone you know. It just isn't right.

I'm glad you stopped by my blog :) I was surprised to see the link to my blog on the UALR student blog! I told him I would have made my post a little better if I thought anyone would actually read it :) I'm excited to start meeting classmates. It will make August much better!