Monday, February 15, 2010

Looking on the Horizon...

Not too long ago I sat with my mom and my sister as they discussed men. Both have been divorced and perhaps it is that fact, more than anything, that influenced the advice the dispensed to me:

Be realistic-- you'll probably end up divorced someday.
Don't look for romantic-- try for practical instead.
Happiness with one person forever isn't possible-- sorry.
One person won't have all the qualities you look for--- so just settle.
If all else fails, get a sperm donor and do it all yourself.

Listening to their "advice" immediately made me question my cynicism. I had always thought I was the pessimistic one. Maybe I'm a little "love" hyped because I spent the weekend watching, Valentine's Day, Sex & the City, Notting Hill and my favorite, Pride & Prejudice.
I don't think I am impractical. I know that promising to settle down with one person forever will be a full time job. A job that is full of frustrations, compromise and sleepless nights. I know that some days I'll want to walk away and never come back home. I realize that there will be times I'll pray that he does walk back through the front door. But I refuse to lose faith that true, life-lasting love exists out there, somewhere... waiting for me.

After spending the weekend watching such a variety of movies on the topic of love, I can't help but think how many generations have considered its power. Since I was a small girl I have heard love stories written from nearly every period in history and place on Earth. That can only lead me to one conclusion-- it is out there! How could so many artists, writers, philosophers and rulers proclaim such love without having seen it in some capacity?

The other day I saw a story on the Internet about the longest married couple still living. They have been together for eighty-something years. See. It is out there. It does exist.

I won't become a cynic just yet. I won't cast doom and despair on my future. Instead, I'll keep my head on straight and look on the bright side. He is out there somewhere. I can see his outline on the horizon. I may not know his name yet, but I know we'll spend long Saturdays in bed arguing over which movie to watch next. I know we'll drive through neighborhoods admiring houses we'll never be able to afford. I know that we will fight over the remote and race each to the fridge for the last Popsicle.

But more than anything, I know that he is real-- that love is real-- that happiness is real.

I'm not giving up on it yet.

No comments: